The Rochester Teachers Association has rejected the school district's proposal to layoff 168 teachers.
President Adam Urbanski told union members in a letter that the teacher cuts— proposed to take effect by New Year's Day— would be devastating and distruptive to students and their teachers. Urbanski said the plan is "unrealistic and unworkable since some subjects are mandated by the state and in some tenure areas the district already has a significant shortage."
He said much of the proposal that includes teachers would have to first be negotiated by the RTA.
- RCSD Reveals Plan To Fill $30M Budget Deficit
- RCSD Updates Public on Budget Crisis, CFO Resigns
- Teacher Layoffs Unlikely As RCSD Deals with Budget Crisis, Union Says
- State Budget Office Responds to RCSD Budget Deficit
- Comptroller's Audit of RCSD Underway
- City Council Approves State Oversight of RCSD Finances
- RCSD Budget Shortfall Estimated at $30 Million