WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The city of Winston-Salem is making plans to complete the Piedmont Regional Greenway.
- The newest expansion will be by Salem Lake, connecting Linville Road and Hastings Hill Road
- The stretch will be about one mile long
- There is no timetable for when construction will begin or when the project will be finished
This is part of the city’s efforts to link Winston-Salem and Greensboro through the greenway.
This new expansion plan will be by Salem Lake, connecting Linville Road and Hastings Hill Road. The stretch is about one mile long.
Fleet Feet Sports in Winston-Salem co-owner Keith Davis says many members of the community are excited about this expansion - especially the runners.
"Now as they're adding pieces and parts of trail all around town, you find more and more places as a runner or a walker, or a fitness enthusiast to go and enjoy the city," Davis said.
For the project, Winston-Salem has about $1 million in local and federal funds.
Federal transportation funds will cover around 80 percent of the project, while the city will cover the remaining 20 percent.
So far, there is no timetable for when construction will begin or when the project will be finished.