NORTH CAROLINA -- Six new flu deaths have been reported in North Carolina by NC Health and Human Services.
That makes for 35 deaths total for this flu season, spanning from September 30, 2018 to May 18, 2019.
- UNC and UNC Rex Implement New Hospital Restrictions Due to Flu
- Duke Hospital Warns Against Using Antibiotics to Treat Flu
- 4 New Flu Deaths Reported in NC, Bringing Season Total to 27
Thus far this season, there have been 105 fewer flu-related deaths than last year this time. During this same week last year, there were 34 new flu deaths and 140 total for the season.
As a result of the growing flu cases, Atrium Health has joined Novant Health, Cone Health, Wake Forest Baptist Health and Randolph Health by implementing restrictions. They announced they wil be restricting hospital access for visitors 12 years old and younger at all of its Charlotte region in-patient hospitals.
- Atrium Health’s Carolinas Medical Center
- Atrium Health’s Levine Children’s Hospital
- Atrium Health’s Levine Cancer Institute
- Carolinas Medical Center-Mercy
- Carolinas HealthCare System NorthEast
- Atrium Health Pineville
- Atrium Health Union
- Atrium Health University City
- Atrium Health Lincoln
- Atrium Health Cleveland
- Atrium Health Kings Mountain
- Atrium Health Anson
- Carolinas HealthCare System Blue Ridge
- Carolinas HealthCare System Stanly
- Carolinas HealthCare System Behavioral Health-Charlotte
- Carolinas HealthCare System Behavioral Health-Davidson
- Carolinas Rehabilitation-Charlotte
- Carolinas Rehabilitation-NorthEast
- Carolinas Rehabilitation-Mt. Holly
- Atrium Health Pineville Rehabilitation Hospital
Hospitals in the Novant Health system impacted include:
- Novant Health Brunswick Medical Center
- Novant Health Charlotte Orthopedic Hospital
- Novant Health Clemmons Medical Center
- Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center
- Novant Health Hemby Children’s Hospital
- Novant Health Huntersville Medical Center
- Novant Health Kernersville Medical Center
- Novant Health Matthews Medical Center
- Novant Health Medical Park Hospital
- Novant Health Mint Hill Medical Center
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center
- Novant Health Rowan Medical Center
- Novant Health Thomasville Medical Center
- Novant Health UVA Health System Prince William Medical Center
- Novant Health UVA Health System Haymarket Medical Center
- Novant Health UVA Health System Culpeper Medical Center
This restriction is effective February 8 at 7 a.m. until further notice. All visitors should properly disinfect their hands with soap and water or sanitizer.
Children may be allowed to access the hospital areas in special circumstances, such as visiting a dying family member.
For more information on the flu virus and getting your flu vaccine, visit here.