SAN ANTONIO – A peaceful protest scheduled on Saturday evening to remember the life of George Floyd and other people who have died as a result of police brutality turned violent into the late evening.

What You Need To Know

  • Protest started in Travis Park

  • Thousands marched through the downtown area

  • Protesters continued to the Alamo where they met full-suited police

  • Tear gas, rubber bullets were used to deter protesters

The original protest started at 5 p.m. in Travis Park, where hundreds gathered to hear speakers chant and activists talk about the life of Charles Roundtree Jr., an unarmed black San Antonio man who was fatally shot by a San Antonio police officer.

READ MORE | Texas George Floyd Protests Prompt Gov. Abbott to Augment Police with National Guard, DPS

The group grew into the thousands as they marched through the downtown area. The City of San Antonio estimated more than 5,000 participants. 

Around 10:30 p.m., rioting began downtown near the Alamo where fully-suited police officers blocked protestors from the area. Tear gas and rubber bullets were also used to deter protesters. Windows were broken and walls were tagged in the downtown area. Some store owners rushed to board up their stories in an effort to prevent damage.




Following the rioting, a fire was set to a probation office around midnight. According to the San Antonio Fire Department, someone broke into the probation office and set the office on fire. The fire was quickly put out by the sprinkler system and contained to the one room.

Arson was called to the scene but damages were not disclosed. The investigation continues. 

READ MORE | Texas Police Chiefs Condemn Actions Prior to Death of Houston Native George Floyd

Floyd died Monday, May 25 after a Minneapolis, Minnesota, police officer knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes in a graphic video that has spurred anger across the country. Officer Derek Chauvin was arrested Friday for third-degree murder and manslaughter. He was fired from the department, along with three other officers who were involved in the arrest.