AUSTIN, Texas – According to the results of a survey conducted by the New York Times, the University of Texas at Austin has reported more cases of the novel coronavirus than any other college in the United States.
The surveys indicates UT Austin topped the list with 449 confirmed cases. Also on the list in Texas is UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas with 207 cases and UT Rio Grande Valley in Edinburgh, Texas, with 95 cases.
This is particularly troubling news as UT Austin is scheduled to start the fall semester on August 26. The university does have plans for safeguards designed to mitigate the spread of the virus on campus.
Students have the option of taking classes exclusively online, and in-person instruction is scheduled to end the day before Thanksgiving.
A list of the 10 schools reporting the most cases of the novel coronavirus follows:
- University of Texas at Austin – 449
- University of Central Florida – 438
- University of Georgia – 390
- University of Washington – 249
- University of Florida – 217
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center – 207
- University of South Florida – 182
- University of Pennsylvania – 167
- University of California, Berkeley – 123
- University of Connecticut System - 112