AUSTIN, Texas – Christmas is over so now it’s time to take down the decorations and recycle that tree.
In Austin, there are several options for tree recycling. The first one is the easiest. If you are an Austin curbside customer, you can leave your tree at the curb and it will be picked up on your regular collection day.
Note though, the tree needs to be outside by 6:30 a.m. and all decorations or stands need to be removed from the tree. If you had a big one, anything over six feet, you need to cut the tree in half.
If you are not a curbside customer, you’ll need to pack that tree up and haul it to Zilker Park.
During the two weekends following Christmas, December 28-29 and January 4-5, you can take your tree to Zilker Park. It’s the same deal as above, make sure all decorations and stands are removed.
Drop-off times are 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on those dates.
All of the trees will be turned into mulch which will actually be available for residents to load up and take home for free starting on January 16.
There are additional free drop-off locations throughout Travis County:
- TDS Landfill Creedmoor: 3016 FM 1327, Creedmoor, Texas, 78610
- TDS & Garden-Ville Bee Cave: 4001 RR 620 South, Bee Cave, Texas, 78738
- Note that via Texas Disposal Systems you may donate your tree until January 31
- 3219 S IH 35 Round Rock, Texas 78664
- 629 Dalton Lane, Austin, Texas 78742
- 2625 Woodall Dr. Leander, Texas 78613
- 6011 Blue Bluff Rd Austin, Texas 78724
- 4501 FM 620 Austin, TX 78732
- 3614 FM 973 Del Valle, Texas 78617
If you need additional locations including options that will pick up your tree for a fee, click here.