As we head deeper into the warm weather season, the Carolinas see more and more in the way of thunderstorm activity. So let's take a couple of moments and discuss lightning safety. 

Uniquely enough, as of this typing, there have been no lightning fatalities in the United States so far in 2019. This is quite abnormal. 

Over the last 30 years, the US averages 43 reported lightning fatalities per year. Only 10% of people struck by lightning are killed, leaving the other 90% with varying degrees of injury or disability. 

Now that we are into the warm weather season, people enjoy more and more outdoor activities. The basic rule with lightning safety is if you are close enough to hear thunder, you are close enough to the thunderstorm to get struck by lightning. So, that is the science behind the old phrase 'when thunder roars, head indoors.' 

Once inside, stay off of corded electronic devices, and avoid taking a shower or bath. 

Follow Matthew East on Twitter and Facebook