CORNELIUS , N.C. – Staff noticed an algae bloom forming on the surface of the Robbins Park Southern Pond.
- Several dogs have become sick after being exposed to blue-green algae
- The same algae has since bloomed in Cornelius
- Symptoms of blue-green algae poisoning include vomiting, inability to walk, and weakness
After testing the algae, officials found that bloom was releasing harmful toxins into the water. Staff members are working to treat the algae and will keep the pond closed until there is no longer a threat.
Several dogs have become sick after being exposed to blue-green algae which is a microscopic bacteria found in freshwater. The toxins it produces are highly dangerous to pets and can be to humans too.
RELATED: Vets Issue Warning After 3 Dogs Die Within Hours of Contact with Toxic Blue Algae
Officials say to avoid any body of water with visible algae, including the mud or grass around the banks. As little as one to two licks can result in your dog getting algae poisoning.
If your pet comes in contact, speed is key. Take your animal to the vet or the nearest animal hospital. Symptoms of blue-green algae poisoning include vomiting, inability to walk, and weakness.
Get the latest news, sports and weather delivered straight to your inbox. Click here to sign up for email and text alerts.