BOONE, N.C. -- The Appalachian District Health Department has found one Appalachian State University student with meningococcemia, a blood infection caused by bacteria that can cause meningitis.

  • Health officials say the person did not test positive for meningitis
  • It is not an airborne disease
  • Alerts have been put out for three bars in Boone

 It causes an array of symptoms like fever, stiff neck, severe headache, nausea, vomiting and light sensitivity, according to health experts.

The person did not test positive for meningitis but the infection can be spread through oral secretions.

“Drinking after people, sharing, eating, utensils, eating after people or kissing can spread this germ,” health director Jennifer Greene said.

It is not an airborne disease, but they have put out an alert for three bars in Boone.

If you were at the Boone Saloon on Aug. 22, The Local on Aug. 23, or Cafe Portofino on Aug. 25 and you shared a drink, food, silverware or kissed someone, you may want to get checked out.

Cafe Portofino owner Olga Esterson says she is aware of the notification but is not worried about people now coming into the bar. She says they only use plastic at night and do not use silverware.

The health department says if you are not feeling well and believe you could have been exposed, go get checked out. So far, no one else has tested positive for the blood infection.

“We have had a few folks go to the emergency department. I would say four or five. We also have 150 people that have received the preventative treatment,” Greene said.

Get the latest news, sports and weather delivered straight to your inbox. Click here to sign up for email and text alerts.