DALLAS — A new suspect has been indicted in the murder of rapper Mo3. Devin Maurice Brown was indicted on a charge of murder, according to an arrest affidavit made public by the Dallas Police Department.

What You Need To Know

  • Mo3 was shot and killed on Nov. 11, 2020 on Interstate 35 at Clarendon Drive, according to police

  • Kewon Dontrell White was initially charged with murder in the death of Mo3, known to family and friends as Melvin Noble

  • Devin Maurice Brown becomes the second person to be indicted in the shooting death of Noble

  • Both Brown and White remain behinds bars in federal custody

Mo3, also known as Melvin Noble, was killed in broad daylight in what police described as a “brazen attack” on Interstate 35 in Oak Cliff on Nov. 11. A suspect later identified as Kewon Dontrell White was photographed exiting a dark colored Chevrolet Camaro chasing Noble, who also exited his vehicle, southward on I-35 at Clarendon Drive. White fired multiple shots, striking Noble.

During the shooting, an innocent bystander was also struck with a bullet while sitting in his vehicle. He was taken to a local hospital but did not sustain life-threatening injuries.

Noble was taken to Methodist Hospital where he died from his wounds.

White fled the scene traveling northbound on I-35. At the time of the deadly incident, White was out on bond for a felony charge of unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon along and a misdemeanor charge of evading arrest in Dallas County. He was taken into federal custody on Dec. 9 on charges of possession of a firearm by prohibited person.

Following White’s arrest, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Texas published a press release saying two men, White and Brown, had been charged with “gun and drug crimes.”

At the time of the arrest, only White was linked to Noble’s murder, but both were described as “affiliates.” In a criminal complaint filed in November, law enforcement found a 9mm pistol in White’s pants pocket. The complaint went on to say that he fled first on his dirt bike and then on foot when officers attempted to conduct a traffic stop.

According to a separate criminal complaint written in the same month, a stolen AK-47 was recovered in Brown’s closet, along with a botanical substance that field tested positive for synthetic cannabinoids, a bottle of tablets that field tested positive for methamphetamine, scales, baggies and more than $3,000. He pleaded guilty to federal charges of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and conspiracy to possess with the intent to distribute a controlled substance earlier this month.

During the investigation, police learned that Brown had become “upset over a relationship” between Noble and a juvenile witness. Per court records, a witness told detectives that Brown contacted the juvenile witness by phone countless times prior to the deadly shooting. Additionally, police found out that Brown asked the juvenile witness if Noble was at a certain location. A couple days after the shooting, police were provided evidence of call logs that showed Brown’s cellphone number leading up to and the day of the murder.

Brown was taken into custody on Nov. 19 and arrested on federal charges. He confirmed to authorities that he learned that “complainant Noble and a known witness were dating” and became “upset” over a recent Facebook video that included Noble. He admitted that on the day of the murder he called the juvenile witness that morning, but denied being involved in the incident.

Later on Nov. 25, investigators received an anonymous tip naming White as the suspect in Noble's death following the release of still images by DPD of the suspect at the scene of the crime.

The witness told police that she overheard White on the phone confessing to shooting Noble to her boyfriend. Cellphone records obtained by police indicated that White was in the area of the witness’ apartment the night before and where Noble stayed the morning of the shooting.

The data also showed that White and Noble traveled the same path and even placed him at the scene of the shooting. Brown’s phone records confirmed multiple calls between him and White the day before and the day of the shooting, including communication that occurred as Noble was followed from the juvenile witness’ apartment.  

When asked if he knew Brown, White denied he knew him. He also couldn’t definitively say the phone number that was compared in the phone records belonged to him telling investigators that “he could not remember his numbers.”

White was indicted on a murder charge back in February. Both White and Brown remain behind bars in federal custody.