TEXAS — The Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) has issued a health advisory after at least two Texas children were found to have elevated levels of lead in their blood. The cases are believed to be connected to tainted applesauce products that have affected children in other states as well.
Overall, nearly two dozen toddlers nationwide have become ill from ingesting applesauce products from the brands WanaBana, Schnucks and Weis. Applesauce products from these three brands had been sold in Dollar Tree, Amazon and other retailers, according to DSHS. The department says it is working with retailers to make sure any tainted products are taken off the shelves.
The FDA is currently investigating applesauce products from the above listed brands. Recalls have also been issued.
Because children’s immune systems are still developing, they’re more susceptible to lead poisoning than adults. Lead poisoning can lead to learning and behavioral problems in children. If your child has ingested applesauce from any of these brands, DSHS recommends reaching out to your child’s health care provider to get them tested for lead poisoning.
While most children don’t show obvious or immediate symptoms of lead poisoning, cases reported headaches, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, changes in activity levels and anemia.
So far, cases in the following states have been reported: Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Missouri, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Washington.
For more information on lead exposure, visit the DSHS website.