LOS ANGELES — The 11th busload of migrants since June 14 arrived in Los Angeles from Texas on Wednesday.
According to LA’s City News Service, the bus carried 35 asylum seekers from Guatemala, Honduras, Peru, Russia and Venezuela. It included 21 adults and 14 children between the ages of 2 and 17.
Now, according to a report from the Los Angeles Times, LA City Council is ready to do something about it.
The report says council voted unanimously Wednesday to look into whether the city can sue the state of Texas and Gov. Greg Abbott over the busing program and investigate to see if Abbott’s actions broke any criminal laws.
In a statement to the Los Angeles Times Wednesday, Abbott spokesperson Andrew Mahaleris said “The LA City Council members are complete hypocrites. In June, they unanimously voted to become a sanctuary city, welcoming migrants to the city.”
Besides Los Angeles, Texas has also sent buses to Washington, New York, Philadelphia, Denver and Chicago. Earlier in August, Abbott touted the bus program on Twitter, posting, “We will continue busing migrants to sanctuary cities until Biden does his job & secures the border.”
Under Texas’ bus program, the state says migrants sign consent waivers and agree on the destinations where they’re headed. Texas officials say the buses are stocked with food and water and that migrants may get off early at stops before the destination city.
Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass called the buses a “despicable stunt” by Abbott after 42 people, including some children, were dropped off in the city in June.
In early August, a 3-year-old child riding one of Texas’ migrant buses died while on the way to Chicago.