The Syracuse City School District is installing air filtration systems in all classrooms as it gets ready to welcome back students next Monday.

Superintendent Jaime Alicea made that announcement Monday at Van Duyn Elementary School. It's part of a partnership with the Pulaski-based company Healthway.

This latest measure comes after criticism from the teacher's union president, who recently said city schools aren't ready to safely reopen yet. The superintendent disagrees, saying the district has put $1 million toward making sure all necessary safety measures are in place.

"This is not a scrambling to get ready for next year. We have been working on our hybrid model. Getting kids back into the buildings is safe, we have a plan for the hybrid instruction in the building, so this is another step that we have taken as a district to make sure that our parents feel we're taking their health and safety of the kids seriously, and also for the staff," said Syracuse City School District Superintendent Jaime Ailcea.

Alicea says about 70 percent of city students have chosen the hybrid model of learning as of right now. The remaining 30 percent are fully remote.