When asked if he and the New York Legislative Task Force on Demographic Research and Reapportionment are working on a backup plan in case the state Court of Appeals upholds a recent decision to strike down legislative and congressional maps, state Senate Deputy Majority Leader Michael Gianaris said “no."
“We have a plan that we passed," Gianaris said. "That plan is in effect. The decision last week has been stayed by the appellate division and so, as you and I sit here talking today, the plan that passed is in effect. It is the plan for the elections this year. Petitions are being filed as we speak. They’re due up until Thursday."
- RELATED | New York county boards of election moving forward as normal despite redistricting uncertainty
Late last Thursday afternoon, state Supreme Court Justice Patrick McAllister threw out New York state's redistricting maps for both the state Legislature and Congress this year.
Since then, a higher court stayed the decision.
“We are confident that we’ve drawn maps that will withstand scrutiny,” Gianaris told Capital Tonight.