RALEIGH, N.C. — One food truck operator on Wednesday said he's seeing more families than he usually does.
- Wednesday was the first full day restaurants could not provide dine-in service
- Food truck owners said they've already seen more foot traffic
- Customers said they're grateful for another option
David With started his And Also With 'Cue food truck last fall. He usually sets up in the parking lot of First Baptist Church, a spot surrounded by state office buildings.
“We've been really fortunate. The employees in downtown Raleigh have been sticking around their offices,” he said.
Gov. Roy Cooper on Tuesday ordered all restaurants and bars in the state to suspend dine-in service due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Drive-thrus and takeout service are still available.
Since then, With said he has noticed more families and school-age children at his window. He said he and other food truck owners are beginning to get requests to come to specific neighborhoods, a different segment from their usual downtown environs.
Customers said they were glad to have another dining option with so many restaurants closed. Michael Pacos said With's truck is a welcome relief from drive-thru fast food.
The Greater Raleigh Convention & Visitors Bureau estimates there are active 100 food trucks in the Raleigh area.