Mike is a sports reporter for Spectrum News based out of our Raleigh newsroom. Prior to his arrival in North Carolina, he worked as a sports and news video journalist for Spectrum in New York, covering the Central NY and Southern Tier regions. Mike began his professional career in broadcasting with WSYR-9 in Syracuse, New York. He started as a production assistant, editor and full-time photojournalist before making the transition in front of the camera.
A native of Syracuse, Mike is a diehard Syracuse Orange fan. He earned his bachelor’s degree from SUNY Oswego and also cheers for the Green and Gold, especially during hockey season. Mike loves the outdoors and hiking, and is always looking for good live music.
Since beginning with Spectrum News in the fall of 2014, it has been Mike’s goal to work in Carolina and he cherishes the opportunity cover Tar Heel State athletics.
Here are five other things you might not know about Mike:
- I started broadcasting when I was in 8th grade. I used to do the play-play-play for Baldwinsville high school sports on our Public Access TV station. I also did public address announcing for several sports.
- I know the lyrics to more Notorious B.I.G. songs than you. Sorry it's true. I started listening to Biggie when "Ready to Die" came out, and he has been an inspiration as far as using his talent and God given gifts to make life better for himself and his family. Before every job interview up until now I always listen to "Sky's the Limit" as motivation.
- I was a big track athlete in high school, 110m hurdles and high jump were my specialty. White men CAN jump. (Click here to see the video.I'm the guy in the middle of the screen.)
- My older brother Matt is my hero. I literally go to him for advice on anything I have a question about and he has not let me down. I look up to him.
- I'm a big live music fan. I've seen every type of show or concert, from Metallica, Talib Kweli, Blackalicious, to Steve Aoki, Diplo and Skillex. John Mayer, to Doobie Brothers, Dave Matthews Band, Trombone Shorty, Taylor Swift, etc. I've been to Coachella twice. My favorite live shows are two New York bands, Sophistafunk and Big Mean Sound Machine.