Texas — On Saturday Christmas 2020 will have come and gone, and while many opt to keep their Christmas trees up at least through New Year’s Day, you might start thinking about recycling it now.
For those who live in Travis County, you’ve got several free options:
- West Service Center – 4501 FM 620, Austin, Texas, 78732
- Del Valle Adult Softball Complex – 3614 FM 973, Dell Valle, Texas, 78617
- Collection Center – 2625 Woodall Dr., Leander, Texas, 78613
- East Service Center – 6011 Blue Bluff, Austin, Texas, 78724
Tree Disposal Requirements
- Only natural trees are accepted (no plastic/artificial trees)
- Remove all ornaments, decorations, lights, and tree stands
- Remove all nails, staples, and metal
- Trees sprayed with flocking, or artificial snow are not accepted
- Do not place the tree in a “tree bag” or any plastic bag
- Trees taller than 6 ft. must be cut in half
In Georgetown, Christmas tree drop-off is available.
Christmas trees will be accepted at the City of Georgetown Transfer Station, 250 W.L. Walden Drive, from Dec. 26-Jan. 31 at no charge. Normal fees apply to other items. Recycled Christmas trees are turned into mulch, which is available year-round, free-of-charge to City residents.
In San Antonio, Solid Waste Management Department customers are invited to turn their Christmas trees into mulch:
January 2 to January 31, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.:
- Bitters Brush Drop-Off Center - 1800 Wurzbach Parkway, 78216
- Nelson Gardens Drop-Off Center - 8963 Nelson Road, 78252
- SWMD Highway 90 Location - 5450 Castroville Road, 78227
January 2 to January 16 Tuesday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.:
- Culebra Road Drop-Off Center – 7030 Culebra Road, 78238
- Frio City Road Drop-Off Center – 1531 Frio City Road, 78226
- Rigsby Road Drop-Off Center – 2755 Rigsby Road, 78222
Customers should follow these guidelines. If the tree is over 6 ft. tall cut it in half. Remove all lights, decorations and stands. Do not bag trees. No live wreaths, garlands or plants will be accepted. Approximately one to two weeks after these dates, the tree mulch will be available at the Bitters Brush location for free while supplies last.
Customers can also place smaller real trees in their green organics carts for their normal collection dates. Trimming may be required. The cart lid must close completely. Do not over-stuff or over-fill the cart. Do not bag the tree. No plastic, metal or glass is accepted.
This is just the tip of the iceberg. Check with your county or waste disposal service for Christmas tree recycling options in your area.