SAN ANTONIO -- For eight years Pre-K 4 SA has given students a head start in early learning. About a thousand people are expected to come together this weekend to celebrate the special anniversary.
- Pre-K 4 SA celebrating 8 years
- Success attributed to quality of teachers
- Celebration planned for Saturday
"It's really our teachers that have made this program a success," said Pre-K 4 SA CEO Sarah Baray.
We stopped by Cashelle Johnson's Pre-K class. She's teaching a lively group of 4-year-olds all about pumpkins and the five senses.
"My husband's in the military so I've had the opportunity to teach in other states. It's been amazing. This is probably been the best teaching opportunity I've had. I've had the opportunity to learn from other teachers," she said.
Baray says good teachers are key.
"They have demonstrated that when you have a highly skilled teacher and an evidence-based curriculum, children learn at high levels," Baray said.
Thanks to their efforts, thousands of kids have walked these halls and are well on their way to success.
"By the end of our eighth year, we will have actually supported almost half a million children in San Antonio. We give away $4.2 million to programs across the city to help them have outstanding pre-K programs as well and then we train teachers," said Baray.
For Cashelle, it's all worth it.
"I like seeing that light sparkle in their eyes. Just giving them the opportunity to explore and be the little humans that they are," she said.
Details of this Saturday's celebration:
- WHERE: San Antonio Food Bank Pavilion
- 5200 Enrique Barrera Parkway, San Antonio, Texas 78227
- WHEN: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. (Family-friendly activities)
- Ongoing family activities such as face art, bounce houses, tours of the food bank, community resource booths and more
- 11:00-11:30 a.m. (Program)
Speaking remarks by Pre-K 4 SA CEO Sarah Baray, San Antonio City Manager Erik Walsh, Pre-K 4 SA alumni, pre-K