ROCHESTER, N.Y. — Attorneys for former Rochester Police Chief La'Ron Singletary said they are ready to back up his claim that Mayor Warren asked him to lie and support a false narrative, as the story behind the death of Daniel Prude in police custody went public.
The former chief filed a claim against the city earlier this month, alleging that the mayor asked him to lie about the investigation into Prude's death.
The city responded earlier this week saying it would defend against what it called a "frivolous suit."
"As for the Notice of Claim, it confirms the fact that Mayor Warren was never shown the body worn camera footage of the incident by former chief Singletary. It also confirms that Mayor Warren first saw the video on August 4th when it was provided by Corporation Counsel, a fact that Mr. Singletary refused to acknowledge until now. The City will fully defend taxpayers against this frivolous suit," Bridgette Burch White, spokesperson for the City of Rochester, said on Wednesday.
On Friday, Singletary's attorneys fired back, saying in part, "we are prepared to present all evidence supporting these claims to a sworn jury and through its verdict, the public will come to learn whether Mr. Singletary's claims have merit or whether they are frivolous."