Did you see an important story on Spectrum News that told you to visit us online?
Here's where you'll find links containing important websites, phone numbers and other information that you may have seen in a segment on our station.
Find our latest stories on our homepage at www.spectrumlocalnews.com.
The Dutchess County Transportation Council has launched a study called “Poughkeepsie 9.44.55” — described as a detailed examination of the Route 9/44/55 interchange and the Route 44/55 arterials in Poughkeepsie.
"The Transportation Council is looking at ways these arteries might be redesigned to improve safety, simplify travel, and to better integrate them within the fabric of Poughkeepsie," the council said.
The council has made an interactive mapping tool on the project's website where you can add location-specific comments on a Google-based map. You can visit the website here.
Due to today's weather forecast, Central Hudson says you should prepare for possible power outages. Here's a link to Central Hudson's outage map.
Some tips they pass along:
- Charge electronic devices
- Keep a flashlight handy with fresh batteries
- Avoid opening a refrigerator unnecessarily during outages
Governor Andrew Cuomo announced a statewide donation drive to help the people of the Bahamas recover and rebuild following Hurricane Dorian. To help with the effort, the governor will work with the Bahamian Consulate to expand the number of drop sites for priority donations of food, dry goods and personal hygiene.
There are no Hudson Valley drop-off sites, but there are a number in New York City:
- Chisolm State Office Building, 55 Hanson Place, Brooklyn
- Jacob Javits Center, 655 W. 34th Street
- Jamaica Street Armory, 93-05 168th Street, Queens
- Roberto Clemente State Park, 301 W Tremont Avenue, Bronx
- Bahamas House, 231 East 46th Street
- Adam Clayton Powell Building, 163 West 125th Street
- New Covenant Dominion Cathedral, 1175 Boston Road, Bronx
- New Covenant Dominion Church, 3601 Eastchester Road, Bronx
- Memorial Presbyterian Church, 189 Babylon Turnpike, Roosevelt
- United Methodist Church, 125-22 150th Street, South Ozone Park
Needed Post-Hurricane Dorian Relief Supplies:
- Dry Soups
- Assorted Cookies
- Peanut Butter
- Evaporated Milk
- Canned meats
- Canned fish
- Lemon Juice
- Dry Cereal (assorted)
- Wipes (individual packages)
- Diapers (assorted sizes)
- Baby Milk (can/assorted)
- Baby Cereal (assorted)
- Feminine Hygiene Products
- Paper Towels
- Insect Repellent Soap
The FBI is widening its investigation into MyPayroll HR's sudden shutdown. The bureau says if your business was impacted, please fill out a questionnaire here. Based on the responses provided, they may contact you to provide additional information.
With temperatures rising rapidly and heat advisories likely throughout the weekend, click on the Department of Health's page to find a list of cooling centers in your area.
Irish Soda Bread recipe
- 1 pound all-purpose flour (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 13 to 16 ounces buttermilk (depending on the consistency of the buttermilk)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix the flours in a large wide bowl; add the salt and sieved baking soda. Lift the flour up with your fingers to distribute the salt and baking soda.
- Make a well in the center and pour in all the buttermilk. With your fingers stiff and outstretched, stir in a circular movement from the center to the outside of the bowl in ever increasing concentric circles. When you reach the outside of the bowl, seconds later, the dough should be made.
- Sprinkle a little flour on the worktop. Turn the dough out onto the floured worktop. Fill the bowl with cold water so it will be easy to wash later.
- Sprinkle a little flour on your hands. Gently tidy the dough around the edges and transfer to oven tray. Tuck the edges underneath with your hand; gently pat the dough with your fingers into a loaf about 1 1/2-inch thick. Now wash and dry your hands.
- Cut a deep cross into the bread (this is called ‘blessing the bread’) and then prick it in the center of the four sections to let the fairies out of the bread.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 400 degrees for another 15 or 20 minutes. Turn the bread upside down and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes until cooked (the bottom should sound hollow when tapped). Cool on a wire rack.
Hannaford MAAC-n-Cheese Fest - Pork Belly Mac & Cheese
- 1 pound of cooked mini penne or cavatappi pasta
- 8 slices pancetta, julienned
- 6 slices sopresatta, julienned
- 8 slices pepperoni, julienned
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 2 ounces butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 basil leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cup shredded asiago
- 2 cup shredded fontina
- 1 cup shredded fontinella
- 1/2 cup pecorino
- 1/4 cup fried panko
- 8 1/4-inch-thick slices of cooked pork belly
- Heat oil in a medium sautée pan and add the olive oil, sopressatta, pepperoni and pancetta.
- Cook until the meats begin to get crisp and strain the fat into a tail pot.
- Set crisp pork aside.
- Add butter to the strained fat in the pot and heat until melted.
- Add shallots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add flour and make a roux, cooking for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk, cream, salt, red pepper flakes, basil, bay leaves, and white pepper.
- Cook until thickened and the flour taste has cooked out.
- In a separate pan, season pork belly with salt and pan-sear pork belly until golden on both sides.
- Turn off heat on the milk sauce and stir in all the cheese until melted.
- Stir in pasta and serve garnished with fried panko bread crumbs and seared pork belly.
For the pork belly:
- 4 pounds pork belly
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Instructions for pork belly:
- Combine sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Rub pork belly all over with salt mixture and place in a Pyrex dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and foil and place in a 250-degree oven.
- Cook for 4 hours.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before slicing.