SAN ANTONIO -- A letter was sent out to parents by Northside ISD superintendent Brian Woods about new safety procedures for the school year.
- Northside ISD adopting “Run, Fight, Hide” approach
- New plan not related to recent shootings
- Procedures been in planning for more than 1 year
Woods sent the letter on Monday, but it had nothing to do with the weekend shootings in El Paso or Dayton. The plan of action had been in the works for well over a year.
The district is adopting the "Run, Hide, Fight" approach in dealing with an active shooter situation. With the help of local law enforcement, it produced a video that will be shown to the middle school and high school students this fall.
"It is not a graphic video. It is not violent. We want it to be informative. We also don't want it to be scary. We want it to be something that informs and educates,” said Barry Perez, Northside ISD Executive Director of Communications.
While that provides students and staff a plan in case of an emergency situation, the district also reminds parents, students, and their educators to stay on top of situations that may lead to violence.
"The mentality that we have to have is that if we're concerned for any reason, if we have any inkling that something may be a safety concern in our schools, in our communities, we must speak up," said Perez.