In 2019, the day fell on January 19.
Here are some fun facts about one of America’s favorite snack foods:
- Americans consume 13 billion quarts of popcorn each year.
- Popcorn is a member of the grass family.
- Popcorn is scientifically known as Zea mays everta.
- Not all corn can be popped. Popcorn differs from other types of corn because of its thicker hull.
- Most popcorn consumed worldwide is grown in the United States.
- Popcorn kernels can pop up to 3 feet in the air.
- There are 120 calories in 2 tablespoons of kernels.