TEXAS – Sen. Ted Cruz was able to keep his Senate seat as red votes swept across Texas, despite losing major cities to Beto O’Rourke.
According to numbers from Politico, while O’Rourke won Austin, Houston, Corpus Christi, Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, and El Paso, votes for Cruz held strong in rural Texas.
Break down by counties:
- Travis County: O’Rourke wins by 74.3 percent
- Pecos County: Cruz wins by 61.4 percent
- Bexar County: O’Rourke wins by 59.5 percent
- Borden County: Cruz wins by 93.3 percent
- Dallas County: O’Rourke wins by 66.1 percent
- King County: Cruz wins by 94.7 percent
- Hays County: O’Rourke wins by 57.1 percent
Politico numbers also show that counties with large minority populations tended to vote for Democrats. Counties with older populations voted in favor of the GOP. A correlation was not found between party votes based on education and median income.