AUSTIN, Texas — The Texas Department of Agriculture recently removed four credit card skimmers from a 7-Eleven gas station in northwest Austin.
Officials said the store is located at 10207 Lake Creek Pkwy. After a complaint, on Thursday, October 11, TDA inspectors found four skimmers on pumps 1, 2, 3 and 4. The pumps were tagged out of order by TDA inspector. Austin Police Department officers were dispatched to the location. The devices were removed and taken by APD.
If paying at the pump with a credit card, these tips might help you avoid becoming a victim of a gas pump skimmer:
• Use pump closest to storefront, in line of sight for store personnel
• Before pumping, check for unusual bluetooth signals with ID of string of numbers and letters; might be a skimmer
• Check that security tape on pump cabinet has not been damaged. Torn tape might indicate cabinet opened without store personnel's knowledge
• Safest bet is to pay inside with cash
• Always save the receipt and monitor your bank statements after filling up
• If you think you've been skimmed, contact 1-800-TELL-TDA and we will send an inspector to check it out