NATIONWIDE — For the first time ever we experienced an early National Signing Day. Sports Night caught up with all the local stars inking their football futures to colleges.
Watch coverage in video above.
What is the college football early signing period?
The Collegiate Commissioners Association approved the early signing period last May. It gives high school seniors a 72-hour window in December to sign a national letter of intent with the school of their choice. It comes about two months before National Signing Day, which is the first Wednesday of February.
When is the college football early signing period?
The signing period runs from 7 a.m. Dec. 20 to 11:59 p.m. Dec. 22. Those dates coincide with the first three days of the junior college signing period, when players transferring out of a junior college can sign.
Will any Central Texas high school students sign during this period*?
San Antonio area:
- Caden Sterns — Steele High School (Texas)
- JT Woods — Steele High School (Baylor)
- JayVeon Cardwell — Steele High School (Oklahoma State)
- Onyx Smith — Steele High School (Bowling Green)
- Julon Williams — Judson High School (Houston)
- Trevon Moehrig-Woodard — Smithson Valley High School (TCU)
- Zaire Taylor — O’Connor High School (Houston)
- Ben Sims — Clark High School (Baylor)
- Tyler Vitt — MacArthur High School (Texas State)
- Davis Brin — Champion High School (Tulsa)
- Nakia Watson — Westlake High School (Wisconsin)
- Braden Cassity — Westlake High School (Oklahoma State)
- La’Thaniel Washington — Del Valle High School (Boise State)
- Scale Igiehon — Del Valle High School (Boise State)
- Cameron Wilkins — Del Valle High School (Missouri)
- Simi Bakare — Cedar Ridge High School (Missouri)
- Ochaun Mathis — Manor High School (TCU)
- Matthew Baldwin — Lake Travis High School (Ohio State)
- Cameron Dicker — Lake Travis High School (Texas)
- JoJo Weeks — Wimberley High School (UTSA)
- Ian Burnette — Wimberley High School (TCU)
- Brandon Hawkins — Georgetown High School (Boise State)
- Sterling Galban — Burnet High School (Texas Tech)
- Pierce Withers — Bowie High School (Texas State)
* If we're missing someone, let us know! Email email@example.com!
Who is eligible to sign?
Any current high school senior. There was confusion as to whether only those who wish to enroll in college early are eligible to sign, but that’s inaccurate. Players who sign in December can enroll in spring, summer or fall.
Follow Sports Night on Twitter for live updates as they become available.