AUSTIN, Texas -- If you're flying in and out of Austin–Bergstrom International Airport in the near future, you'll notice some new changes.
The airport's new $12 million South Terminal opens in a week and features a patio for passengers to lounge outside before their flight.
Allegiant Airlines will call the three-gate terminal home once it begins operations on Apr. 13.
Sun Country and ViaAir will move the terminal in the next few months.
The new terminal should make catching a flight less stressful.
Travelers can access the new terminal by taking US-183 to Burleson Road.
The airport will also run a shuttle between the main and south terminal.
-- Crowded Main Terminal --
ABIA is in the midst of adding nine gates to the Barbara Jordan Terminal. It opened in 1999 with 25 gates, designed to handle 11 million passengers a year. Last year, more than 12.4 million people passed through the airport.
"That kind of alleviates some of the crowded conditions we have at our current Barbara Jordan Terminal," ABIA's Jim Halbrook said. "It also opens us up for more air service opportunities for Austin."
The South Terminal adds three gates to the airport's mix.
Nine more gates will be complete on the main terminal next year.
-- New Terminal Features --
Destinations serviced by flights operating out of the South Terminal include:
- Albuquerque, NM
- Branson, MO
- Cincinnati, OH
- Cleveland, OH
- Destin/Fort Walton Beach
- Las Vegas, NV
- Memphis, TN
- Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
- Orlando/Sanford, FL
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Tampa/St. Petersburg, FL
South Terminal Amenities:
- 3 outdoor gates, canopy-covered with air stairs and ramps
- Terminal accommodates 36 plane arrivals and departures each day
- 30,000-square-foot building can service up to 500,000 enplanements (passengers) each year
- Covered parking with 1,000 spaces in front of termial - $7/day
- Drop off area for rides/taxis/ride shares
- Shuttle from main terminal will run every 10 minutes during peak times
- Indoor/outdoor waiting area with bar and live music stage
- Two TSA security lines
- Food kiosks
When airlines will move in:
- Allegiant is the first airline that will be moving to the new South Terminal next Thursday on April 13. The airlines offers flights to 10-non-stop destinations.
- Sun Country Airlines will begin service from new terminal at the end of August with flights to Minneapolis/St. Paul.
- ViaAir will move in at the end of May and offers flights to Branson, Missouri.
Join the Discussion: