WINTER HAVEN, Fla. -- Several families were without a home Tuesday morning after fire ripped through their apartment building in Winter Haven.

  • Fire happened at complex at 200 Ave. K SE
  • No injuries were reported
  • Cooking oil left on stove cited as cause

It happened Monday evening at the Briarcrest apartments. Fire officials said someone left cooking oil on a stove.

Four apartments were evacuated, and power company TECO cut electricity to the building.

The blaze was contained to the single apartment that caught fire, but others incurred water and smoke damage.

There were no injuries, but a dog that was rescued from a second-floor balcony was taken to a veterinarian as a precaution.

About three dozen firefighters responded to the scene.