ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- A elderly woman was taken to the hospital Monday after a house fire on Terrace Park, which is on Rochester's southwest side.

Firefighters rushed to the scene after a neighbor noticed thick smoke coming from the house around 3:15 p.m. Monday.

Firefighters had to fight their way through thick smoke to find homeowner, who is between 70 and 80 years old. Firefighters said she was found unconscious in her bedroom upstairs. 

According to the fire department spokesman, the woman was having a cardiac arrest while on her way to the hospital. 

Her condition is unknown at this time, and her identity has not been released by authorities.

At this time, it's believed this was an unattended kitchen fire.