The Environmental Protection Agency says that mold can grow anywhere, indoors and outdoors, but isn’t typically a problem until it starts growing inside your home. This usually points to some sort of moisture issue – and the best way to control it – is to locate where the access water is coming from.
- If mold starts growing on a dam or wet spot and begins growing or spreading
- Mold can also be invisible and can float in the air and dust through your home– if your air quality is suffering – get it checked out
- If you feel like you are having health issues like allergic reactions, asthma issues or other respiratory complaints – itchy eyes, runny nose, red eyes, sneezing, skin rashes, scratchy/irritated throat
- Having a leaky faucet, roof, pipes, moist kitchen or basement, a utility issue
- If your home feels humid or damp
- If you have insulation on your windows, piping, exterior walls, floors, etc. and they still feel dewy or wet
- If you have carpet in your bathroom or kitchen and they collect condensation or have frequent spills
The best advice the EPA gives is that even if you clean the mold, but don’t take care of the root of the problem, the mold will eventually grow back. Moisture control is your best avenue for getting rid of mold spores that continue to grow within your home.