Q: After last year’s tragic limo crash in Schoharie, what should I look for in hiring a limo?
A: The state Department of Transportation regulates altered or stretched limousines. An altered limousine is any vehicle that can carry 11 or more persons, including the driver.
- Make sure the driver has a commercial, or CDL, license.
- Verify that the company operating the limo has an OA (operating authority) permit from NYSDOT.
- Make sure the inspection sticker is up to date.
- Look for proof of liability insurance.
- Check for seat belts.
- Do a visual inspection. (lights, tires, loose door handles, etc.)
- Verify the company’s safety performance.
For a complete explanation of "what to know," go to the NYSDOT web site.