Gov. Andrew Cuomo in a statement Tuesday decried the decision by the U.S. Supreme Court to temporarily allow a ban on transgender individuals from serving in the military as the case moves forward.
The court in an unsigned order voted 5-4 on Tuesday to allow the ban from President Donald Trump’s administration to move forward.
“The Supreme Court has greenlit an abhorrent policy that not only endorses discrimination in our armed forces, but also undermines national security by blocking talented and dedicated people from serving their country,” Cuomo said. “President Trump’s disgraceful ban on most transgender troops serving in the military repays service and sacrifice with hate and it takes our military backward by undercutting this nation’s commitment to ensuring equal rights for all.”
The state Legislature last week backed a bill that would strengthen protections for transgender people as well as bolster measures against discrimination against gender identity. Cuomo signed the broad strokes of the bill into regulation in 2015.
“In New York, we stand united with the transgender community. We took action in 2015 to affirm that all transgender people are protected under the State’s Human Rights Law, and this year we are enshrining those protections in State law once and for all with the Gender Expression Nondiscrimination Act,” Cuomo said. “While this federal government governs by bigotry and division, New York will always fight back to ensure the dignity and respect of every individual.”