Syracuse firefighters battled flames and the conditions Friday as a fire erupted at a home on East Genesee Street.

Luckily everyone was able to get out of the home before anyone was hurt. Crews say there was a lot of fire, and extensive damage to the home.

The hardest part though, was battling Mother Nature.

"I believe it was about 11 degrees when we came in without the wind chill,” said Syracuse District Fire Chief Colin Duffy. “The wind actually as the windows failed mad the fire worse.  We're dealing with the wind chill and the wind feeding the fire.  The guys are a little chilly. The gloves are frozen the helmets are iced over."

Investigators are still looking into what sparked the flames.