We all love the spring and summer festival season in downtown Syracuse -- and who better to point us in the right direction than Spectrum News reporter Brad Vivacqua? Over the last 10 years in Syracuse (he worked in our Mohawk Valley newsroom first) he has covered quite a few festivals. This Brad's Best Bet-style list might help give you an idea on which ones might peak your interest.
Brad's Best Bet - Top 5 Syracuse Spring/Summer Festivals:
5. Arts and Crafts Festival (July) – A very unique festival luring thousands of people to a few different locations in Syracuse. You can find a variety of antiques in multiple locations in Columbus Circle or Hanover Square. It is a great opportunity to get out and get a special gift for that special someone or just browse and enjoy the outdoors. A fantastic festival every year coinciding with the Jazz and Wine Festival in Clinton Square!
4. The Polish Festival (June) – There’s always a lot of great food and fun planned at one of the longest running festivals in Downtown Syracuse. Whether it’s pierogies, golabki, polish Kielbasa, or potato pancakes, there is something your taste buds will love. Clinton Square becomes one big party every year with this festival which draws big crowds every year. This year the festival is June 22 through June 24.
3. St. Sophia’s Greek Festival (June) – You can’t beat St. Sophia’s Greek Cultural Festival when it comes to the three F’s. Food, family, and fun. Get yourself some chicken or lamb souvlaki, rice, or maybe a Greek salad. Don’t forget dessert! I’m talking about baklava or Kourabiedes! Don’t forget to wear your dancing shoes! This year the festival is June 7 through June 10!
2. Crawfish Festival – A great way to start the festival season in Downtown Syracuse. If you like some southern Cajun cooking, this is the festival for you. All the proceeds benefit Operation Northern Comfort to help rebuild homes down south. A great festival with a lot of unique cuisine. If you like crawfish, gumbo, or jambalaya, you’ll love it here! (May 5, 2018)
1. Taste of Syracuse (June) – Brad’s personal favorite. You can’t go many places and find great food for just a few bucks. The $1 samples at the Taste of Syracuse are no doubt what make this festival so popular. Whether its lunch, dinner, or an appetizer, you can find some mouthwatering options at the Taste of Syracuse on the first weekend of June! On top of the food, you can find some great entertainment as well. (June 1-2 ,2018)