DURHAM, N.C. – The Bull City will delay its Phase 2 reopening to June 1.
While restrictions will ease around the state, Durham's hair salons will remain closed, and restaurants will stick with takeout only. Outdoor public pools will remain closed for the entire summer. County commissioners will follow suit.
Mayor Steve Schewel said the city is going in the opposite direction of beating COVID-19.
"Our cases have been rising in the last week at a faster rate than the state's cases," he said Friday morning.
Khedron Mims owns Rivals Barbershop and was set to reopen Friday after the governor said it was OK before Schewel intervened.
"It was little disheartening. Discouraging. But at the same time too I can understand," he said.
Neigboring Orange County will move into Phase 2, but commissioners modified their plan:
- Requiring restaurant, personal care, grooming, tattoo and retail employees and staff to wear a face covering while on duty. This requirement does not apply to people whose religious beliefs prevent them from wearing a face covering, people who cannot wear a face covering due to a medical or behavioral condition, and people who are under 12 years of age.
- Recommending that all businesses require customers to wear a face covering while inside the business.
- Tables at restaurants are limited to no more than six people (the state order allows up to 10). However, more than six people may sit together at the same table if they are members of the same household.
- Clarifying that meetings of public bodies (such as elected or appointed boards, commissions or councils) limits to no more than 10 people indoors. Worship services, spiritual gatherings, weddings, and funerals are exempt from this restriction.