Looking for something to do in the Tar Heel State this weekend? From a parade, to a culinary tour and a cooking class, there's something for everyone, with many events happening around the state.
Check out 10 events below:
- MLK City of Charlotte Parade - Charlotte, N.C. in Uptown. Saturday, Jan. 13 at 10 a.m.
“A Charlotte tradition since 1981, the MLK Holiday Parade in Uptown Charlotte includes more than 100 community organizations, marching bands, floats and dance performers”
- Culinary Tour through Historic South End - Charlotte, N.C. at 7th Street Market. Saturday, Jan. 13 at 1:30 p.m.
Explore the dynamic culinary scene as we travel through Charlotte's South End. We start at the Atherton Market and walk our way through the beautiful Historic South End. Meet the artisans who create these incredible culinary dishes and find out what motivates them. Learn about the areas deep history and view the architectural beauty this neighborhood has to offer. Eat Drink Walk with us through Charlotte's Historic South End.
- South Mountains Marathons - Connelly Springs, N.C. on South Mountain Park Ave. Saturday, Jan. 13 - Sunday, Jan. 14.
Brought to you by Tanawha Adventures, the South Mountains Marathons are a pair of trail races named The Shinny Shiver Marathon and the High Shoals Half-marathon, which are held in the beautiful South Mountains State Park in North Carolina.
- Monster Jam Triple Threat Series - Greensboro, N.C. at the Greensboro Coliseum. Saturday, Jan. 13 at 7 p.m.
Monster Jam® Triple Threat Series™ brings adrenaline-charged family entertainment to fans across the country. These world-class Monster Jam vehicles and athletes deliver what fans want to see most…more trucks, more racing, more freestyle, more donuts, more wheelies, more action! Each event tests the versatility of the athletes as they go head-to-head in seven different competitions driving three different vehicles.
- Trail Dreaming - Winston Salem, N.C. at The Quarry Park of Winston-Salem. Saturday, Jan. 13 at 9 a.m.
Ideas will be shared with the Winston-Salem Recreation and Parks and local elected officials. Walk the terrain and share ideas for a new trail in Winston-Salem.
- Family Fun Day - Wilmington, N.C. at the William E. Murphy Sports Complex
Family Fun Day at William E. Murphy Sports Complex in Wilmington, NC, is part of the MLK, Jr. Celebration and features games, face painting, refreshments, and exhibits.
- Shoreline Cleanup - Holly Ridge, N.C. at the Morris Landing Clean Water Preserve. Saturday, Jan. 13 at 1:00 p.m.
Join the North Carolina Coastal Federation, the North Carolina Coastal Reserve and Keep Onslow Beautiful on for a shoreline clean up to kick off the federation’s 2017 marine debris removal efforts.
- Quiche Cooking Class - Durham, N.C. at the French Corner Bakery on North Pointe Dr. Saturday, Jan. 13. Admission is $55.
Join Chef Benjamin for this fun and informative class where you will learn how to cook a quiche!
- Art Adventures at the Ackland - Chapel Hill, N.C. at the Ackland Art Museum. Saturday, Jan. 13 at 10:00 a.m. Free for members. $5 for non-members.
Designed for 6- to 9-year-olds, Art Adventures sessions provide kids with a guided view of art in the Ackland’s galleries, followed by the opportunity to create take-home treasures in an adjacent art studio using newly-learned art-making techniques.
- Transactors Improv: For Families - Carrboro, N.C. at ArtsCenter. Saturday, Jan. 13 at 6 p.m. Admission is $10 Public, $8 Senior, $6 Child.
This 45-minute performance features short-form improv – individual scenes running 5-10 minutes and based on audience suggestions. Everything is made up on the spot, and the content is appropriate for children and adults… and adults who act like children.