What you'll need for Sweet Potato Pie:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1½ sticks butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoon of flour
- 2 unbaked 9-inch pie crusts
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Drain the water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes and butter.
- Add sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Add vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk and blend into the sweet potato mixture.
- Add 2 tablespoons of flour to the sweet potato mix after you have added all the spices, sugar, butter and eggs.
- Flour goes in as the last ingredient. Mix well with a hand mixer and then pour the mix into the pie crust.
- Pour into pie shells and bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until done.
Here are a few tips from Sophine while you're cooking...
- To get a crust that's golden brown, lightly brush the bottom and sides of your pie crust with an egg wash.
- To make an egg wash, lightly beat 1 egg and add 1 tablespoon of cold milk.
- For a crust that's not soggy at the bottom, partially bake crust before adding the filling.
- To prevent the sides of your pie crust from burning before your pie is done, cover the edges of the crust with aluminum foil, or cover with a pie crust shield.