KANNAPOLIS, N.C. -- Cabarrus County health workers say they tracked down the cause of illness tied to a church barbecue.
- Poplar Tent Presbyterian Church held the event on Nov. 1
- The Brunswick stew tested positive for c. perfringens
- RELATED: Church Barbecue Made Nearly 300 Sick
Cabarrus Health Alliance found the Brunswick stew served at Poplar Tent Presbyterian Church on Nov. 1 tested positive for c. perfringens. They say it's a common cause for food poisoning when foods are prepared in large quantities and kept warm for a long time before serving.
Symptoms include diarrhea and abdominal cramps that last for less than 24 hours.
Samples of barbecue pork, cole slaw and barbecue sauce were also tested.