LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Attorneys for the family of Breonna Taylor claim information they've requested through a subpoena in their wrongful death suit is being unlawfully being kept from them. Attorneys announced this in a letter released on Tuesday morning.

What You Need To Know

  • Taylor attorneys claim information withheld

  • Team says it hasn't received information requested.

  • Team wants attorney general to independently investigate

  • Mayor says termination must be done right or there are ramifications

Attorney Lonita Baker says the legal team for Taylor's mother, Tamika Palmer, is still looking to be provided an autopsy report, complete personnel files of the officers involved in Taylor's death, and all of Mayor Greg Fischer's communications regarding Taylor's death. 

Baker is calling for the release of the information as she pushes for justice for Taylor. "It leads us to believe that there was a cover-up," Baker told Spectrum News 1 Tuesday afternoon. 

Taylor was killed in her home on March 13, when Louisville Metro Police (LMPD) fired multiple shots into the apartment while serving a search warrant. Since then, the community has called for justice and information. The 911 tapes and transcripts have been released; personnel files of three officers involved have also been released. 

Last week, LMPD sent copies of the official police report on the incident to the media. However, most of the report was blank. For "injuries," the word "none" is listed. Taylor's attorneys contend she was shot by police at least eight times. Under "forced entry," there's a check in the box for "none." However, Baker's legal team has made photos of the scene available, in which damage to the apartment door is visible to imply forced entry. 

"They're just not complying but they're continuing telling the media 'we're being forthcoming. We're being transparent.' However, they're not," says Baker. 

Baker believes that although LMPD says the three officers involved were not wearing body cameras, there is footage out there. "Other officers may have had body camera. Additionally, 120 officers responded to that scene — some of those being regular patrol officers- which we know are fitted with body camera," Baker explains.

As she pushes for more information, Baker is also calling on Attorney General Daniel Cameron (R) to investigate Taylor's death independently. She claims her correspondence with Cameron's office reveals LMPD's Public Integrity Unit (PIU) has not shared enough information with Cameron for him to charge the three officers. 

"We don't believe that Louisville Metro Police Department is capable of investigating itself," she says. 

As Baker and community members call for the officers to be fired and charged and express frustration that they have not yet been, Mayor Fischer acknowledged it Tuesday morning. Fischer said, “Much of the frustration in the community is that these police officers are still on the job. Terminating someone is not a symbolic gesture. Terminating someone illegally has ramifications to it. Their reinstatement, their ability to sue for wrongful termination, the potential interference with any criminal case that comes against them. These are very important issues to get ultimate justice in this case.”

LMPD public information officer Lamont Washington said in a statement Wednesday regarding the case, "We think it is clear that this case has already moved faster than most as it is already in the hands of the Attorney General. However, we do not have an expected time of completion to report. We have no further comment at this time."