Gov. Kathy Hochul on Friday announced the second round of funding in the amount of $15 million aimed to boost abortion service providers in New York state following last month's Supreme Court ruling that overturned Roe v. Wade.
This money will expand eligibility to include family planning providers that were not awarded funding during phase one, other licensed healthcare providers and independent clinics.
"I will not stand idly by while the rights of women across the country are stripped away," Gov. Hochul said in a statement Friday. "This funding opportunity further builds on our nation-leading protections for abortion patients and our ongoing work with providers to ensure they have the support and resources they need to provide care. Under my watch, New York will always be a safe harbor for abortion access."
The funds are part of $35 million that was set aside within the state Department of Health and the Division of Criminal Justice Services back in May when the potential loomed for the Supreme Court to overturn the 1973 landmark ruling but before the actual ruling came down. The first $10 million, which was announced a week and a half ago, went to 63 clinics across the state to conduct more hiring and expand operations.
The governor's office said of the $10 million released Friday, a significant portion of the funding will be awarded to Western New York, the Southern Tier and New York City, which they expect to have the most challenges in providing access to abortion services.
This is the latest move by the state to counteract the Supreme Court’s ruling. During a recent extraordinary session called to address gun laws, the New York Legislature approved an amendment to the state constitution that would enshrine the constitutional right to abortion. It must be approved by another separately elected session of the Legislature and then put before voters in a referendum before it becomes law.