New York City seems to finally be getting some financial support from the federal government when it comes to the continued influx of asylum seekers.
On Friday, the Federal Emergency Management Agency announced that it had allocated over $330 million to more than 30 cities and organizations in the first round of funding for migrants.
Of the over $330 million allocated, New York City’s Office of Emergency Management was given $30.5 million.
The funds are meant to help fund food, shelter and services the city is providing to arriving migrants.
What You Need To Know
- On Friday, FEMA announced that New York City was allocated more than $30 million in funding for the migrant crisis
- So far, more than 57,000 migrants have arrived, with more than 34,000 in the city's care
- Officials say the city has already spent $1 billion on the migrant crisis, with the costs expected to balloon to over $4 billion by next year
The funding is significantly lower than the initial $300 million the city was asking for.
In a statement, Fabien Levy, the mayor's press secretary, called the funding "disappointing and woefully insufficient."
"Let us be very clear: This is both disappointing and woefully insufficient for a city that has carried the cost of sheltering, feeding, and supporting more than 60,000 asylum seekers in the last year," Levy said. "New Yorkers have stepped up tremendously throughout this crisis and we look forward to working closely with our congressional delegation to remedy this serious mistake."
When asked about City Hall’s statement about the funding, White House Assistant Press Secretary Abdullah Hassan said the city should be getting more funding, but added that "we are constrained by Congress.”
“We need Congress to step up. We need Congress to not only provide the resources but also the reforms to fix our immigration system and to end to, you know, reform our laws that were actually able to address this challenge once and for all,” Hassan told NY1.
FEMA in its press release noted that New York City got the largest allocation of any city not directly on the southern border.
Rep. Hakeem Jeffries applauded the announcement. Jeffries, the House minority leader, and Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer have been working to secure funding to the city.
“The $30.5 million we worked to provide New York City in this first round of funding is a step in the right direction and will help the City continue to aid the more than 50,000 asylum seekers who have sought refuge,” Jeffries said in a statement.
So far, administration officials say the city has spent more than $1 billion on migrants and is set to spend more than $4 billion by next year.
Later this month, Title 42, a pandemic-era immigration restriction, is expected to expire and lead to a surge of crossings at the southern border.
The city has had to open more than 100 emergency shelters and eight Humanitarian Emergency Relief and Response Centers as a result of the influx of migrants.
According to city officials, more than 57,000 migrants have arrived in the city, and more than 34,000 are still in the city’s care.
FEMA said the city can once again expect a significant amount of funds in the next round of funding.
“Later this Fiscal Year, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will award approximately $360 million in additional funds through the new Shelter and Services Grant Program. Absent a change of circumstances, this next round of funding will be focused on the needs of interior cities, in addition to border communities. It is anticipated that New York will again receive a significant share in that round,” the agency said in a press release Friday.
NY1's Kevin Frey contributed to this report.