NEW YORK —  An officer is recovering at home after he was shot while responding to a domestic violence call in Brooklyn, according to the NYPD.

The shooting happened around 9 p.m. on the third floor of a home on Bergen Street near Ralph Avenue in Crown Heights.

Officers from the 77th Precinct were interviewing a woman at the location when her boyfriend arrived at the scene and fired one shot, according to Police Commissioner Dermot Shea. An officer, whose name is not known at this time, was struck in the back, in his bullet-resistant vest. It's unclear if police or the woman was the intended target.

According to the preliminary investigation, two officers are believed to have returned at least seven shots at the 20-year-old suspect.

Police then chased after the suspect, whose name is not known as of this writing, on foot for one to two blocks. When an officer caught up to him, the suspect was told "at least ten times" at gunpoint to drop his firearm, Shea said.

The NYPD said the suspect eventually did, placed his gun on the sidewalk, and was taken into custody without any further violence.

The police commissioner said body camera footage the officers wore showed the shooting and the foot chase.

The 27-year-old officer shot was the only person injured, and he was transported to Kings County Hospital. He was in some pain but did not suffer any life-threatening injuries, according to Shea. The bullet stopped just short of penetrating his skin. The officer has 2.5 years of experience on the police force, and could be released later on Christmas Day.

Police had responded to the home after the girlfriend's mother called 911 several times to warn the NYPD that her daughter's boyfriend threatened to come by and shoot.

According to the police commissioner, there is at least one prior domestic violence incident between the suspect and the girlfriend, but it's unclear if it happened at that house. It happened about a month ago.

The suspect was not confirmed to have a criminal history, but the NYPD was continuing to investigate.

The incident happened just a month after two NYPD officers were shot after responding to a domestic violence report in Queens. The officers were at that home for just a few minutes when a woman's husband came home armed and a gunfight broke out. The gunman was declared dead at the scene, and the officers survived. The suspect's wife was not injured.

Advocates have warned that the coronavirus pandemic has only exacerbated domestic violence crises in the city and around the country, as many victims are forced to stay home with their abusers.


Did you know you can now watch, read and stay informed with NY1 wherever and whenever you want? Get the new Spectrum News app here.