SAN ANTONIO — Record Store Day is around the corner, and in its 11th year, it's popularity is ever-increasing.
Vinyl album sales in the United States increased by more than 1,000 percent over the past ten years. And junkies line up at stores' openings to get their hands on rare and special releases from artists spanning all genres. It's not unusual to be greeted by fellow eager fans, shop owners, music performances, free food and drinks and more.
History of RSD
Record Store Day was conceived at a gathering of independent record store owners and employees as a way to celebrate and bring awareness of the nearly 1400 independently owned record stores in the U.S.
The first Record Store Day took place on April 19, 2008. Today, there are Record Store Day participating stores on every continent except Antarctica.
“This is a day for the people who make up the world of the record store—the staff, the customers, and the artists—to come together and celebrate the unique culture of a record store and the special role these independently owned stores play in their communities. Special vinyl and CD releases and various promotional products are made exclusively for the day,” organizers of Record Store Day said.
Participating shops in SA
- Southtown Vinyl, 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday, 1010 S Flores St #120
- Flip Side Record Parlor, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday, 838 SW Military Drive
- CD Sam, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., 4522 Fredericksburg Road (Inside Wonderland of the Americas Mall)
- Hogwild Records, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday, 1824 N. Main Ave.
- CD Exchange, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, 5442 Evers Road
Special 2018 releases we're looking forward to
- Arcade Fire — EP
- Balmorhea — Chime/Shone 7"
- Courtney Barnett — The Double EP: A Sea of Split Peas
- Black Moth Super Rainbow — Backwash 7"
- David Bowie — Welcome to the Blackout (Live in London '78) 3 x LP
- Mac Demarco — Old Dog Demos
- Descendents — Who We Are 7"
- Diplo — California
- Gary Clark Jr. with Junkie XL — Come Together 12" Picture Disc
- Lil Uzi Vert — Luv is Rage
- Kevin Morby with Waxahatchee — Farewell Transmission/Dark Don't Hide It 7"
- The National — Boxer Live in Brussels
- Daniel Rossen — Deerslayer 12"
- Run the Jewels — Stay Gold Collector's Edition
- Sleigh Bells - Kid Kruschev
- Snarky Puppy — Sharktank 10"
- Sufjan Stevens — Mystery of Love EP 10"
- Various Artists — Twin Peaks (Music from the Limited Event Series) 2LP Picture Disc
RSD 2018's list of releases is long and diverse in that there's a little something for everyone. To see the full list, visit here.