AUSTIN, Texas — The Bullock Museum is rolling out an inaugural series that will cure your summertime blues over this oppressive heat.
Cool Summer Nights is a series of three free evening events that celebrate culture, community and Texas history.
Each night event includes:
- Activated exhibits with living history participants
- Themed lounge provided by Premiere Events
- Cash bar with specialty themed cocktail
- Small bites for purchase by Delicious in our Story of Texas Café (vegetarian options available)
- Complimentary sparkling water from Waterloo Sparkling Water
- Complimentary coffee and cold brew samples by Addison Coffee Roasters
- Souvenirs for purchase in the Museum gift shop
- Photo booth by MYEVENTSTHEBOMB
- Records spun by DJ from Breakaway Records
- Complimentary parking in the Museum's garage
"Rodeo!" 6-9 p.m. Friday, June 22
The first event is “Rodeo!” in celebration of "Rodeo! The Exhibition" currently on display. The museum says its lobby will become a dance floor complete with lessons for the untrained. Guests can also try their hand at leathercraft or create the perfect spice blend to make chili.
The event will include:
- Personalized poems written by Typewriter Rodeo
- Western stamping with HIVE Arts Collective
- Two-step lessons led by instructor Shelby Harchar and organized by HIVE Arts Collective
- Chili spice making station with Common Threads
- A leatherworking workshop presented by Tressa Gilmer and organized by HIVE Arts Collective
“Art” 6-9 p.m. Friday, July 13
“Art" night will highlight the range of visual arts found in Texas in conjunction with the exhibition, "Comanche Motion: The Art of Eric Tippeconnic." Guests can watch artists create paintings inspired by the museum's galleries or try out a variety of visual arts techniques for themselves.
You’ll be able to:
- Watch visual artists from Atelier Dojo create spontaneous pieces of art inspired by the Museum's gallery spaces
- Take part in a silhouette portraiture activity with Cindi Rose
- Create your own art inspired by the work of Eric Tippeconnic with CRAFT
- Watch a weaving demonstration and learn basic stich instruction with DRÉA PETERS Insta Design Group
- Try your hand at blind contour drawing
“Music" 6-9 p.m. Friday, Aug. 10
The final Cool Summer Nights is inspired by Austin music culture and the museum's exhibition celebrating the history of Austin City Limits. Guests can pick up a ukulele and experiment, experience contemporary opera or try their hand at songwriting.
At the last event:
- View two evening performances of opera in a contemporary style by One Ounce Opera
- Enjoy hands-on activities with ukuleles and impromptu performances presented by Groundwork Music
- Create black bean sound shakers and paint an Ausitn skyline with CRAFT
- Take part in a guided song writing activity with Badgerdog
- Experience d/Rastra, an audio/visual performance incorporating a hacked CRT television, glitchy soundscapes and dynamic lighting design by Kyle Evans