SAN ANTONIO — James Bradley's sentencing has been rescheduled to Wednesday, April 18.
Originally scheduled for Friday, March 23, Bradley awaits charges relatedto conspiracy to smuggle aliens resulting in death and alien smuggling resulting in death.
The July 2017 smuggling incident in San Antonio resulted in the deaths of 10 undocumented aliens.
A sentencing date has been set for the man now pleading guilty to human smuggling in San Antonio that killed multiple immigrants.
James Bradley Jr., 60, is accused of packing a semitrailer with at least 39 immigrants in July 2017, which killed 10 people. According to court documents, police officers found people standing and lying in the rear of the trailer and Bradley in the cab in the parking lot of a Walmart.
Most of the immigrants were from Mexico, who crossed the southern border without documentation. Court records said the immigrants estimated the trailer contained between 70 and 180 to 200 people during transport.
The trailer's cooling system was broken, and witnesses told authorities and The Associated Press that they fought to breathe and tried in vain to get the trailer to stop as it headed north. Eight people were found dead inside, and another two died after being hospitalized.
According to a criminal complaint released in July, Bradley originally denied knowing anyone was inside the trailer. He told investigators that the trailer had been sold and he was transporting it for his boss from Iowa to Brownsville, Texas. But he said he had driven to Laredo, Texas, and stopped twice there before driving back to San Antonio, in the opposite direction from Brownsville.
Bradley changed his plea to guilty in October.
The indictment charges against Bradley include seven counts of conspiracy to transport and harbor immigrants for financial gain, which resulted in death.
Bradley will be sentenced on Feb. 26. He could get life in prison.