SAN ANTONIO -- A newly released study by the Journal of Pediatrics shows guns kill nearly 1,300 U.S. children each year.
That means every day, 19 children in the U.S. are either killed or injured by guns.
• Firearms deaths are third leading cause of death for children aged 1 to 17
• Firearm deaths are second only to traffic fatalities ages 1-19
• From 2012 to 2014, nearly 5,800 kids a year ended up in the emergency room from a gun-related injury
• Of the 1,300 kids killed each year by guns, more than half are homicides, 38 percent are suicides
• Of the 1,300 kids killed each year by guns, more than half are homicides
• 38 percent are suicides, 6 percent are accidental, and 3 percent are by police or undetermined.
MORE | Read the full study