The extreme cold is impacting regions across Upstate New York.

Temperatures aren't expected to make it past the teens with subzero wind chills.

The higher terrain could see wind chills as low as 25 below, which means those exposed can get frostbite in under an hours time.

The National Weather Service says it is better to be prepared if you have to be outside over the next few days.

And the DEC is warning people who may be heading to the Adirondacks to enjoy outdoor activities during the extreme cold. They say for those heading out to be sure to bring a sleeping bag or shelter, in case of an emergency. 

Outdoor safety precautions:

  • wear multiple layers of loose fitting, lightweight and warm clothes
  • wear a hat, mittens and cover your mouth to protect your lungs from the extreme cold when outside
  • keep dry -- change wet clothing frequently to prevent loss of body heat
  • keep your pets indoors -- if you are cold -- they are probably cold

Prevent those pipes from freezing:

  • to prevent pipes from freezing you should let hot and cold water trickle at night from a faucet
  • opening cabinet doors will allow more heat to get to pipes under a sink to prevent freezing
  • make sure your heat is set no lower than 55°

Space heater safety:

  • use electric space heaters with automatic shut-off switches and non-glowing elements
  • keep all heat sources at least three feet away from furniture and drapes

Frostbite & Hypothermia:

  • frostbite is a serious condition that’s caused by exposure to extremely cold temperatures
  • a white or grayish-yellow skin area
  • skin that feels unusually firm or waxy
  • numbness
  • hypothermia, or abnormally low body temperature, is a dangerous condition that can occur when a person is exposed to extremely cold temperatures
  • Adults: shivering, exhaustion, confusion, fumbling hands, memory loss, slurred speech drowsiness
  • Infants:  bright red, cold skin, very low energy
  • Your body temperature shouldn’t be below 95° F

Carbon Monoxide safety:

  • carbon monoxide-related deaths are highest during colder months
  • these deaths are likely due to increased use of gas-powered furnaces and alternative heating, cooking, and power sources used inappropriately indoors during power outages
  • never use a generator, grill, camp stove or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal-burning devices inside a home, garage, basement, crawlspace or any partially enclosed area
  • the primary hazards to avoid when using alternate sources for electricity, heating or cooking are carbon monoxide poisoning, electric shock and fire

For more tips on how to handle winter weather, head to (a contributing source to this report).