OSWEGO, N.Y. -- Investigators looking into Tuesday morning's fatal fire in Oswego have released the victim's name.

Edward Babcock, 54, was found dead inside his apartment on West 6th Street shortly after 1 a.m.

Firefighters say it only took them a few minutes to put out the fire, but it was too late to save him.

Five other people, including a couple with a child were able to make it out safely. However, the fire chief says they were lucky, because the smoke alarms weren't working.

"The issue was a delay in the alarm. The fact that somebody at 1 a.m. happened to look out their window and see flames. That's why it's so important to have working smoke detectors, so it alerts people early, and it can alert the fire department,” said Oswego Fire Chief Randy Griffin.

Oswego Fire sent a photo showing the flames coming from the second story.  That's where they believe the fire started, although they have not yet determined the cause.