Gary grew up in Dunn in southeastern Harnett County. As a young child he developed an interest in airplanes. His love of flying sparked an interest in weather.
“It’s almost ironic that I would eventually become a meteorologist,” Gary said. “When I was a small boy, I feared severe thunderstorms. Now as a scientist, I study them.”
After graduating from Dunn High School, Gary began his flight training. He earned his private pilot’s license at the Harnett County airport in 1985. His training continued over the next few years. During that time he received his Instrument rating, commercial pilot’s license and multi-engine rating.
Here are five other things you might not know about Gary:
- I was born on April 12. I met my wife on April 12. My daughter was born on April 12. My son was due on April 12, but he decided to arrive four days early to have his own special day.
- I love airplanes and aviation. My parents believe my interest in flying was started by watching the old TV series "Twelve O'clock High" when I was a toddler.
- As I said, I met my wife on April 12. I proposed to her exactly three months later on July 12. We just celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary.
- My daughter is starring in a new television series that is currently in production called "Remnant 13."
- In high school, I scored in the 96th percentile on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test and was approached by the United States Army to enlist and become an Army Ranger.